Progress has been made. I wasn’t particularly productive at Panera tonight (I’m estimating somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 words), but I haven’t updated with last night’s Arabica total (around 700 words), either. If you add the roughly 1,300 words of background material I just wrote, that makes for about 2,300 words that aren’t included in my current total (21,760), which should put me right around 23,000. Still a fair bit behind, but nothing that can’t be made up in a day or two.
Since I’ve been stumbling over scenes that just weren’t working over the past couple of days, I decided to go back and do something I might have done early in week one, had I known what I was going to write about at the time: I’m setting the stage.
There’s a lot of stage to set, and most of what I’m writing now will likely be integrated into the story in some other form. I think it’s important that I set the stage now (better late than never) because it’s really going to help establish some boundaries and — more importantly, direction — for the story in the coming days. What I wrote tonight is interesting, and has me looking at my story from a new angle, which is definitely a good thing. It may take a couple more days of writing this type of background before I get back to the story, but right now it feels like I’ll have a good idea where the story needs to go once I start moving it forward again.
I’d add more to the 1,300 words I just wrote, but I have a job that I’d like to keep, regardless of how much it’s cutting into my writing time.