Sitestuff: Design Changes

If you’ve been visiting the site over the past couple of days, you’ve likely noticed that I’ve been playing around with different WordPress themes. If you haven’t been visiting the site over the past couple of days, are you trying to hurt my feelings? I’ve been very happy with the Tarski theme for the past six months or so, but I’m starting to feel that the site has outgrown the single sidebar.

Alas, there’s no 3-column version of Tarski at this time, so if I want a third column I’ll either have to dive into the code behind the Tarski theme or select a new theme with the desired number of columns. I tried Mollio for a day or so, but I’m not thrilled with how it renders in Internet Exploder. I’ve got a couple other potential themes but each one seems to have one little annoying thing about it that brings me back to Tarski.

I’ll probably keep messing with things over the next couple of days and when (if) I settle on a new theme I’ll post again looking for feedback.

6 thoughts on “Sitestuff: Design Changes”

  1. I haven’t visited (the blog portion of) your site in quite a long time. But that’s because I’m *subscribed* to your feed so I get your passionate postings and other alliterative allegories as quickly as humanly possible.

  2. [Comment ID #9478 Will Be Quoted Here]

    You get a pass. Subscribing to the feed is the only acceptable alternative to visiting the site daily.

  3. [Comment ID #9544 Will Be Quoted Here]

    It wasn’t just you. If you were trying to access the blog yesterday afternoon, it was down. One of the WordPress plugins I use was getting caught in an infinite loop and (I’m guessing) sucking up server cycles. When midPhase (my hosting provider) figured out that my little blog was killing their server, they set the permissions on the file that runs the plugin to “0000”, which effectively killed the blog. Ignorant of the problem, I changed the permissions back and re-created the loop.

    After midPhase killed the plugin again, I did a little poking around and saw that the looping problem had been reported to the plugin developer last month. I had a backup copy of the pre-bug plugin, so I deleted the new, reinstalled the old and the site came back online.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *