Well, I’ve been thirty-four years old for a week now and I’ve gotta say I’m liking it so far. There are times when being an adult is all about socks and shirts and ties, oil changes and mortgage payments, but I’m happy to say that my family and friends know that I’m still all about the books, comics, toys and games. Apart from a very nice polo shirt from my mother-in-law, most of my birthday bounty would have been eagerly received by seventeen-year-old me.
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy for the Xbox, from my young apprentice. Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.
- The Making of Star Wars by J.W. Rinzler, from Laura.
- A Boba Fett t-shirt, also from Laura.
- The Ultimate Fantastic Four trade paperbacks volumes 1-5, from Miscellaneous G™.
- Three Hellboy comics signed by Mike Mignola, from Chris.
- A green FlyTech Dragonfly, from my sister-in-law and her family. A remote-controlled ornithopter! How cool is that?
- A musical Batman card from my elder, bigger little sister.
- Filthy lucre from my parents, mother-in-law and grandparents-in-law, which I used to buy:
- 18 by Moby (CD)
- Play by Moby (CD)
- Hellboy: Sword of Storms (DVD)
- Dune: Extended Edition (DVD)
- Blade Runner: Director’s Cut (DVD)
- Pan’s Labyrinth (DVD)
- Last but not least, pumpkin pie from my grandparents-in-law. Yes, it’s more of a fall pie. I don’t care. I will eat it now and then, I will eat it anywhen!
[EDIT: I forgot a couple of things!]
- Police Squad! The Complete Series on DVD, from the Wiitalas. Police Squad! didn’t succeed as a television series (a shame, because it’s hilarious), but it eventually evolved into three Naked Gun movies.
- Spamalot Original Cast Recording, also from the Wiitalas. Laura and I saw Spamalot last year, and it was fantastic. My favorite song is probably “The Song That Goes Like This”, but they’re all good.
- The first season of Arrested Development on DVD, from my sister and her boyfriend. Despite several people telling me I should have been watching this show when it was originally on the air, I’ve never seen it. I’m probably directly responsible for its cancellation.
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma, also from my sister and her boyfriend. I’m not sure, but I think this book has something to do with that “fourth meal” I’ve been hearing about at Taco Bell.
Are my friends and family not awesome? Yes. Yes they are. They made me a very happy birthday boy.