Once again, I have been tagged to enumerate some random tidbits (factual, one presumes) about myself. The magic number here is sixteen and the tagger was none other than Chris Miller.
Off we go.
- My most recent meal (as of this writing): four sliders and half an order of Not-So Fries at Yours Truly. This is just part of the reason I've found the weight I lost last summer.
- I play with my wedding ring a lot; it drives Laura nuts. On long trips (such as driving up to my parents' house), I occasionally take the ring off and place it on the little joystick for adjusting the side mirrors. I often take it off or switch it to my pinkie finger when I'm typing.
- I still have my tonsils and they are ginormous, even more so when they're infected (which seems to happen once or twice annually).
- The first Star Wars film I saw in the theater was Return of the Jedi at the Lode Theater in Houghton, MI. I was a little concerned that my eight-year-old brother, Adam, might not be able to keep up with the subtitling of Jabba the Hutt's dialog, but I don't think he had any problem with it. After the movie, we ate dinner at the Douglass House across the street. As we were leaving the restaurant, I realized I'd left my jacket in the theater, so went in to retrieve it. Luke and Leia were chasing scout troopers on speederbikes and I found my jacket with no trouble.
- I once lived in an apartment above a video store and still could not return a rented movie on time, even though I could have easily dropped the tapes through the hole in my bathroom floor directly into the video store.
- The last time I assembled one of these lists, my wife indicated that she could come up with seven weirder things about me than I had. She has yet to deliver.
- I still remember the cover of the issue of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition my mother bought me the day I got my first pair of glasses, way back in elementary school. The feature that I remember most distinctly: Stilt-Man's leg, which is the only part of the villain visible on the cover and extends up beyond the boundary of the image.
- I have smoked precisely one cigar in the thirty-five and a half years I've been on this planet. I do not intend to smoke another, no matter how many more years I remain here.
- I once stuck my tongue on a metal handrail in the middle of winter. I was at school and had snuck outside, so no one knew where I was. After a brief bit of panic, I tore my tongue loose, and the next several meals I ate were incredibly unpleasant. I didn't tell anyone about it until years later.
- If I were compiling a list of United States I don't feel compelled to visit, I would probably put Idaho at the very top, but only because I've already been to New Jersey.
- I spent two weeks trying to "hack" a broken copy of Hacker II: The Doomsday Papers for the Apple //GS before giving up and calling Activision Customer Support only to learn that the game was not supposed to boot to a command prompt after all. They sent me a replacement copy and I eventually beat the game.
- The only items of clothing I have purchased for myself since getting married are hats, gloves and winter boots. I will probably purchase a pair of gloves on the way home from work today.
- I always put my shopping cart in the corral; if there's no corral, I'll return it to the store. I do this simply out of a desire to feel morally superior to those people who leave their carts in the middle of the parking lot.
- I think The Rocketeer's helmet is one of the coolest things ever. If I could have one accurate replica prop from a movie, that helmet would be it. If I could have the entire costume, I might never take it off.
- It was a list like this one that convinced Laura she needed to introduce herself to me more than fifteen years ago.
- I often clean my glasses in the morning with the underwear I am about to don. The cloth is clean, soft and apparently lint-free, so it's pretty much perfect for the job. I'm well aware that this is probably something you neither needed or wanted to know, but that's the risk you take when you read one of these lists. Let it be a lesson to you.
Do I even know sixteen people to tag? Let's try Jason Penney, Rachel Ross, Eric Feldhusen, Rae Lamond, Eric Bork, Sam Chupp, David Moore, The Bearded Goose, Sudrin, Jude, Not Andrei, The Cynical Optimist, Wesley, Jaxvor, Slowhand and Laura Johnson. Yes! Laura Johnson, who does not have a blog. Get one! Your husband can help!
As we approach the middle of november, the beards on display at HoNoToGroABeMo.org are...well, I don't think words can really do them justice, so here are a few of my favorite photo submissions from the first half of the month. Many, if not all, of the photos below can be clicked for embiggening.
Day One: Bob kicks things off with his Creepy Stare theme, which has continued through the first two weeks.
Day Six: Chris has already gone over to The Dark Side of The Beard.
Day Eight: I am convinced that David has only two facial expressions. This is the other one.
Day Eleven: Wesley survived this vicious gargoyle attack, but just barely.
Day Twelve: Emo Jeff is emo.
Day Twelve: Gus is more beard now than man; twisted and evil.
Finally, we have an honorable2 mention from Day Seven, featuring far, far too much Jeff.